Meet the Associated Faculty and Staff
Andy Thomas, M.S.
Research Assistant Professor
University of Missouri Southwest Center
14548 Hwy. H
Mt. Vernon, MO 65712
Research interests including working with a wide variety of
horticultural and tree crops and crop production techniques, with most
projects being relevant to agroforestry. Projects at the Center include
black walnuts, pecans, hickories, pawpaws, persimmons, Ozark chinkapins,
elderberries, apples, asparagus, wildflowers, medicinal herbs and a
solar-heated greenhouse. Additionally, Andy has consulted on international
agricultural projects in Russia, Cameroon, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan,
Korea and Bolivia.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Graves, W.R., and A.L. Thomas. 2011. Survival and Growth of Callicarpa americana (American Beautyberry) of Northern and Southern Origin in USDA Hardiness Zones 5 and 6. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 29(1):9-13.
- Byers, P.L. and A.L. Thomas. 2011. ‘Bob Gordon’ Elderberry. Journal of the American Pomological Society 65(2):52-55.
- Byers, P.L., A.L. Thomas, and M. Millican. 2010. ‘Wyldewood’ Elderberry. Cultivar and Germplasm Release. HortScience 45(2):312-313.
- Charlebois, D., P.L. Byers, C.E. Finn, and A.L. Thomas. 2010. Elderberry: Botany, Horticulture, Potential. Horticultural Reviews 37:213-280. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Brauer, D., A. Ares, and A. Thomas. 2009. Cultivars of eastern black walnut trees (Juglans nigra L.) have greater nut yields than native trees at similar trunk cross-sectional areas. Journal of the American Pomological Society 63(2):42-50.
- Thomas, A.L., P.L. Byers, and M.R. Ellersieck. 2009. Productivity and characteristics of American elderberry in response to various pruning methods. HortScience 44(3):671-677.
- Finn, C.E., A.L. Thomas, P.L. Byers, and S. Serçe. 2008. Evaluation of American (Sambucus canadensis) and European (S. nigra) Elderberry Genotypes Grown in Diverse Environments and Implications for Cultivar Development. Hortscience 43(5):1385-1391.
- Thomas, A.L., D.K. Brauer, T.J. Sauer, M.V. Coggeshall, and M.R. Ellersieck. 2008. Cultivar Influences Early Rootstock and Scion Survival in Grafted Black Walnut. Journal of the American Pomological Society 62(1):3-12.
- Thomas, A.L., P.L. Byers, C.E. Finn, Y.-C. Chen, G.E. Rottinghaus, A.M. Malone, and W.L. Applequist. 2008. Occurrence of Rutin and Chlorogenic Acid in Elderberry Leaf, Flower, and Stem in Response to Genotype, Environment, and Season. In: G. Gardner and L.E. Craker (eds.). Plants as Food and Medicine: The Utilization and Development of Horticultural Plants for Human Health. Acta Horticulturae 765:197-206.
- Thomas, A.L., R.J. Crawford, Jr., G.E. Rottinghaus, J.K. Tracy, W.L. Applequist, B.E. Schweitzer, L.J. Havermann, S.F. Woodbury, J. Miller, M.R. Ellersieck, and D.E. Gray. 2007. Occurrence of 23-epi-26-deoxyactein and Cimiracemoside A in Various Black Cohosh Tissues Throughout the Growing Season. HortScience 42(3):535-539.
- Thomas, A.L., R.J. Crawford, Jr., L.J. Havermann, W.L. Applequist, B.E. Schweitzer, S.F. Woodbury, and J.S. Miller. 2006. Effect of Planting Depth, Planting Season, and Fungicide Treatment on Establishment of Black Cohosh in a Poorly-drained Soil. HortScience 41(2):374-376.
- Thomas, A.L. and W.R. Reid. 2006. Hardiness of Black Walnut and Pecan Cultivars in Response to an Early Hard Freeze. Journal of the American Pomological Society 60:90-94.
- Brauer, D., A. Ares, W. Reid, A. Thomas, and J.P. Slusher. 2006. Nut-yield Variations and Yield-Diameter Relationships in Open-canopy Black Walnut Trees in Southern USA. Agroforestry Systems 67(1):63-72.
- Thomas, A.L., S. Gibson, and N.J. Holmberg. 2005. The Flora and Natural History of Woods Prairie, a Nature Reserve in Southwestern Missouri. Missouriensis 25:1-19. Missouri Native Plant Society, St. Louis, MO.
- Thomas, A.L. and D. Schrock. 2004. Performance of 67 Native Midwestern U.S. Perennials in a Low-maintenance Landscape. HortTechnology 14(3):381-388.
- Thomas, A.L., M.E. Muller, B.R. Dodson, M.R. Ellersieck, and M. Kaps. 2004. A Kaolin-based Particle Film Suppresses Certain Insect and Fungal Pests while Reducing Heat Stress in Apples. Journal of the American Pomological Society 58(1):42-51.
- Thomas, A.L., and T.C. Kaspar. 1997. Maize Nodal Root Response to Time of Soil Ridging. Agronomy Journal 89:195-200.
- Thomas, A.L., and L.A. Carpenter-Boggs. 1995. Mycorrhizal Colonization of Ancistrocladus korupensis, a New Tropical Forest Species with Anti-HIV Activity. Journal of Herbs, Spices, and Medicinal Plants 3(2):51-54.
- Thomas, A.L. and T.C. Kaspar. 1995. Maize Nodal Root Response to Soil Ridging and Three Tillage Systems. Agronomy Journal 87:853-858.
- Polacco, J.C., A.L. Thomas, and P.J. Bledsoe. 1982. A Soybean Seed Urease-Null Produces Urease in Cell Culture. Plant Physiology 69:1233-1240.
Published Abstracts and Proceedings
- Johnson, H.-Y., P. Byers, J. Hu, A. Thomas, and S. Tesfaye. 2008. Assessment of Genetic Diversity among Elderberry (Sambucus sp.) Species, Cultivars, and Wild Selections by TRAP Technique. HortScience 43(4):1137-1138.
- Thomas, A.L, and W.R. Reid. 2007. Productivity and Characteristics of Six Black Walnut Cultivars in Missouri. In: A. Olivier and S. Campeau (Eds.) When Trees and Crops Get Together. Proceedings of the 10th North American Agroforestry Conference: 197. The Association for Temperate Agroforestry.
- Abad, Z.G., J. Phillips, and A.L. Thomas. 2005. Black root and crown rot of black cohosh (Actaea racemosa L.) is associated to Phytophthora and Pythium species. Phytopathology 95:S1.
- Byers, P. and A.L. Thomas. 2005. Elderberry Research and Production in Missouri. Proceedings of the 25th Missouri Small Fruit and Vegetable Conference 25:91-97. Southwest Missouri State University. Springfield, MO.
- Brauer, D., A. Ares, and A. Thomas. 2004. Relationships between Tree Size and Nut Production for Eastern Black Walnuts. Black Walnut in a New Century: Proceedings of the 6th Walnut Council Research Symposium. Lafayette, IN.
- Sauer, T.J., S.L. DeFauw, K.R. Brye, J.V. Brahana, J.V. Skinner, W.K. Coblentz, A.L. Thomas, P.D. Hays, D.C. Moffitt, J.L. Robinson, T.A. James, and K.A. Hickie. 2004. N and P Assimilation in a Silvopastoral System Receiving Poultry Litter or Inorganic Fertilizer. Proceedings of the First World Congress of Agroforestry: Working Together for Sustainable Land Use Systems. Orlando, FL.
- Thomas, A.L., S.L. DeFauw, T.J. Sauer, and D. Brauer. 2004. Hydrologic Influences on the Growth of Young Grafted Black Walnut Trees in Arkansas, USA. Proceedings of the First World Congress of Agroforestry: Working Together for Sustainable Land Use Systems. Orlando, FL.
- Brauer, D., A. Ares, and A.L. Thomas. 2004. Economics of Eastern Black Walnut Agroforestry Practices: Nut Production of Black Walnut in Relation to Genotype and Tree Size. Proceedings of the First World Congress of Agroforestry: Working Together for Sustainable Land Use Systems. Orlando, FL.
- Coggeshall, M.V., A.L. Thomas, and J.W. Van Sambeek. 2003. Scion and Rootstock Effect on the Performance of Grafted Black Walnut Cultivars. Combined Proceedings of the International Plant Propagators’ Society 53:555-557.
- Thomas, A.L., D. Brauer, J. Rhoads, and J.P. Slusher. 2003. Long-term Effect of Tall Fescue Cover Crop on Black Walnut Growth and Nut Production. In Agroforestry and Riparian Buffers for Productivity and Environmental Stability. Proceedings of the 8th North American Agroforestry Conference, p 342. The Association for Temperate Agroforestry.
- Thomas, A.L., D. Brauer, T. Sauer, M. Coggeshall, and J. Jones. 2003. Effects of Varieties on Survival of Trees during the Establishment of Nut-forage Alley Cropping Systems at Two Upland Locations in Western Arkansas. In S. Sharrow (Ed.) Agroforestry and Riparian Buffers for Productivity and Environmental Stability. Proceedings of the 8th North American Agroforestry Conference, p 343. The Association for Temperate Agroforestry.
- Thomas, A.L., and G. Galbraith. 2003. Innovative Land Acquisition and Fund-raising Techniques Used to Preserve a Threatened Missouri Prairie. Proceedings of the 18th North American Prairie Conference. Truman State University Press, Kirksville, MO.
- Schrock, D., and A. Thomas. 2001. Performance of Native Midwestern Herbaceous Perennials in a Low-maintenance Landscape. Hortscience 36(3):477.
- Thomas, A.L. and P. Byers. 2000. Multi-locational Elderberry Cultivar and Management Study. Proceedings of the 20th Missouri Small Fruit Conference 20:37-40. Southwest Missouri State University. Springfield, MO.
- Thomas, A.L. and T.C. Kaspar. 1993. Maize Nodal Root Response to Soil Ridging. 1993 Agronomy Abstracts. American Society of Agronomy.
- Yamoah, C., V. Eylands, S. Ndiaye, and A. Thomas. 1991. On-farm Research Methods for Hedgerow Intercropping: Agroforestry Research and Extension Methodologies for Soil Fertility Management in Rwanda. In Sara J. Scherr (ed.) Methods for Participatory On-farm Agroforestry Research. International Centre for Research in Agroforestry.
- Thomas, A.L. 1996 - present. Quarterly articles on horticulture research projects and activities. In Ruminations. University of Missouri-Columbia, Southwest Research Center, Mt. Vernon, MO.
- Hofherr, P., J. Horner, T. Rickard, G. Stevens, A. Thomas, C. Boessen, M. Morgan and J. Nelson. 2007. Report on Agriculture Assessment for Pyeongtaek City (Korea) and the Characteristics of a High Technology Agriculture Complex. 106 pp. Global Cluster, Pyeongtaek, Republic of Korea.
- Byers, P.L. and A.L. Thomas. 2005. Elderberry research and production in Missouri. New York Berry News 4(10):14-17.
- Jett, L.W., and A.L. Thomas. 2005. Growing Asparagus in Missouri. Horticultural Guide G6405. University Extension, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- Thomas, A.L. and L. Jett. 2004. Performance of Eleven Asparagus Cultivars in Southwest Missouri. Midwest Vegetable Variety Trial Report for 2004. Purdue University Bulletin No. 2004-B17538. Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- Thomas, A.L., A. Becker, and R.J. Crawford, Jr. Nov. 2004. Metal or Plastic? Which Barrels are Best for Holding Water and Heat in a Passively-heated Greenhouse? Small Farm Today 21(6):32-34. Missouri Farm Publishing, Inc. Clark, MO
- Thomas, A.L. 2004. Evaluation of Kaolin-based Particle Film Coatings on Insect and Disease Suppression and Heat Stress in Apples. Organic Farming Research Foundation Information Bulletin 13:15-18. Santa Cruz, CA.
- Thomas, A.L., A. Becker, and R.J. Crawford, Jr. March 2003. An Energy-efficient, Solar-heated Greenhouse Produces Cool-season Vegetables all Winter Long. Small Farm Today 20(2):29-32. Missouri Farm Publishing, Inc. Clark, MO
- Thomas, A.L. 1999. Woods Prairie: A New Prairie Preserve in Southwest Missouri. Missouri Prairie Journal 20(2):16-17. The Missouri Prairie Foundation.
- Thomas, A.L. 1997. Tillage Systems: Soil Tillage and Root Development. In McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science & Technology, 1998. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Thomas, A.L. 1996. Kunga... or No Hard Feelings. In At Home in the World: The Peace Corps Story. The United States Peace Corps.
- Wieland, G.D. and A.L. Thomas. 1995. A Bibliography for Orthodox and Recalcitrant Seed Storage and Management. In Gregory D. Wieland (ed.) Guidelines for the Management of Orthodox Seeds (also in Spanish). Center for Plant Conservation, St. Louis, MO.
- Thomas, A.L. and C.F. Yamoah. 1995. Keeping Tabs on Pests (in Agroforestry Systems): Leafhoppers and Sesbania. Agroforestry Today 7(2):12.